Oct 25, 2010

ITS A CRISIS!!!!!

Lately I've been going through a healthy life-style crisis. Knowledge is power..so for those that don't know..I recently went natural. I ended my horrible, abusive marriage to relaxers and I CUT my hair into a teeny weeny afro. So I started researching on "good" products to use on hair and in the process I learned that almost 98% of the products in the market right now contain HARMFUL ingredients that is not only BAD for your hair and scalp, but also carcinogenic (cancer causing)...SIGH..Are you ready for this? SOME of these ingredients are actually present in some food items...GO FIGURE!! and some of these foods actually claim to be "natural" and I was like hmmmm I gotta find out some more info. SO for the past one month I have been spending time researching on the whole "natural" vs "organic" craze and here we go. I am about to BURST your bubble : Natural and organic ARE NOT..I repeat ARE NOT! the same thing. Consumers are misled, mis-advised, mis-educated, misinformed, misguided, mis-communicated, mis-conceived misdirected – well you get the idea – the American people have failed to notice what the food industry is doing to them. We need to wake up and SEEK THE TRUTH and see what the world is becoming.

Natural just simply means produced or existing in nature! see...that simple! It other words..mother nature!!
In the food industry today, there's NO official definition of "all natural." It means whatever the food companies want it to mean. It can mean, for example, that all the chemicals found in the product simply aren't listed on the label. (There's no requirement for food companies to list chemical contaminants found in their foods.) According to the FDA – their definition of “natural”…Natural foods are processed without preservatives or additives, but may have been grown with the use of pesticides or other conventional methods. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates the term ‘natural’ only as it applies to added color, synthetic substances, and flavors. Meaning..A food label that says "natural" can actually contain ingredients that are not included on the label...including harmful synthetics, and polymers used as preservatives and EVEN a monkey's BUTT..just anything guys!!!

Infact I was at Kroger and saw a bag of cheetos with a label that said natural. Now as I just defined above..Cheetos DO not exist in nature. I have never come about a cheetos tree or pringles leaves or better yet.. I have NEVER heard of or seen lake Koolaid. But since they used vegetable oil derived from a Plant and they also used water in the process of making cheetos and other snacks the FDA claims its OK to say cheetos or fanta, or pepsi are natural.

On the other hand the production of organic foods helps to honor the balance of nature through “old fashioned” farming methods. Conventional pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, antibiotics and growth hormones are never used on organic farms. Instead, they use renewable resources and focus on soil and water conservation to help preserve the environment for future generations.Organic farming is also regulated by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) according to strict quality standards for growing and handling. To locate USDA Certified Organic products in the store, look for the USDA seal which ensures the product is 95-100% organic.

Food companies know that most people do not know the difference between these two terms, and most people equate natural to healthy.. NO. Be a smart consumer..READ THE INGREDIENT LABELS!!!! DO not just fall for advertisement. " NATURAL CANDY", "NATURAL POTATO CHIPS".. UNLESS YOU PLANTED THE "CHIPS" THEN ITS NOT NATURAL. SO yeah thats my haul and rant about FALSE marketing and food labeling in America. its angers me very much!!! IN OTHER WORDS : UNLESS IT CAME STRAIGHT FROM MOTHER NATURE'S BUTT TO YOUR PLATE THEN ITS JUST NOT THAT GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!

And as far as my hair goes..I found several  organic..yes organic hair care products but I chose to try out the Shea moisture products line...ITS AMAZING!!! All natural and organic ingredients...and its affordable. COz there is no way in hell am paying 20 bucks for an organic hair product!! NO NO NO...but shea moisture products are great and you can find them at TARGET!!! (yeah baby) for only 9.99...can all the college students say AMEN PLEASE? this product line is great for both men and women and they do carry facial body and hair products.... http://www.sheamoisture.com/ If you wanna order online!!

And that my earthlings is the end of my rant. I mean cancer is on the rise and am just trying to take steps towards a healthy, lifestyle...which by the way for those that DO not know...I have been flexitarian for a year now..meaning am not 100% vegeterian yet. I only eat meat when am eating out or visting someone. But at home..we do cook meat like once a month. hopefully I will be 100 % vegeterian but GOD knows I love me some fried chicken ( I live up to my tribe's stereotype)..and BEEF..oh lawd!!!! Anywho, we shall see how that goes.

P.S I have gained 12..yes you heard me 12 pounds since April...sigh!! No am not obese and am not fat.."fat" is NEVER used in my vocabulary. I am just a thickum. I got sum sum extra.. kinda like "extra fudge chocolate cake. Its still chocolate cake BUT with a extra fudge...hhmmm am still " Linda" with just extra toppings. And am supposed to be training for my second half marathon which is not going very well!! I gotta get back in shape ASAP!!!

GOODNIGHT EVERYONE!!!


.

No comments:

Post a Comment