Jan 16, 2011

You may just wanna......

Hey, hey ,hey!!!! I hope you All enjoyed your weekend. Mine was pretty much an emotional roller-coaster! I will stop at that. Anyways, I have been receiving a lot of emails, facebook messages, texts and calls about my hair! As most of you know, I recently went natural..NO more perms for me; and actually january 15th was my 4 month hairverssary since I did my big chop! ( cutting off all the permed ends of your hair). I receive a  zillion questions about my crown of glory (hair). I have friends who want to go natural but they are scared of what society will think of them or simply think no man will want them...Sigh...now if a dude will not date you coz of your hair then HE HAS BIGGER PROBLEMS THAN YOU THINK!! Here is my motto : I AM NOT MY HAIR!!!. I have therefore decided to answer most of those questions right here, right now. If you wondering where you at, especially the gents, This is Hairology 101...LETS DO THIS!!!
1. Why did you go natural ?
My permed hair was SEVERELY DAMAGED from all those chemical processes. I also wanted to free myself from the mental hair slavery in the black community, whereby straight permed hair is considered beautiful. I wanted to embrace myself for who I am, grow beautiful healthy natural hair and prove to myself that you don't have to live up to society's standards of beauty. Besides..spending 75 dollars every two weeks on hair was RIDICULOUS!!

2. Is it hard to take care of natural hair?

No! Growing beautiful, healthy hair is a task whether you are relaxed or natural. It takes constant effort, dedication, and time to achieve your hair goals. The only downside of being natural is takes you longer to do your hair regimen but its all worth it.

3. Did you transition?
NO. At first I wanted to transition but dealing with 2 textures of hair (permed and new growth) was just too much for my brain. I Had kinky twists for 2.5 months, took them out and did the "big chop".

4.I don't know anything about natural hair, how do you take care of it?


Same way you take care of relaxed hair. Although many naturals will tell you that some ingredients should be avoided, Hence when shopping for hair products, Avoid anything containing sulfates, mineral oil, parabens, synthetic preservatives....If  you wanna know these ingredients and why they are bad for you just Give me a holla!! To be honest I was very intimated at first but thanks to youtube and doing my own research..I have learned a lot about hair and hair care!!! #blessed. 



5. What Products do you use?


I am still trying out different products to see what really works well with my hair.Here are the products I use currently:
My staple Products:
These are the ones that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE and will continue using till the day I DIE
- African shea butter, Extra virgin coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, castor oil.
Products I use but are not my staple yet:
Shampoo : Giovanni smooth as silk deep moisture shampoo
Conditioner : VO5, Dessert essence lemon and tea tree, Suave coconut tropical
Deep conditioner : Organic root stimulator replenishing conditioner
Leave in conditioner : Shea moisture shea butter leave in with aloe vera , jojoba oil and vitamin E (THE BEST LEAVE IN EVER) and Aphogee pro-vitamin leave in treatment.
Hair spritz : water with liquid aloe vera gel

Here is my hair regimen :
Cleansing/clarifying/washing
I shampoo My hair once a week, or more, depending on whether or not I worked out.
Pre-shampoo treatment : vatika oil, coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil and honey mixed with one of my cheapie conditioners. ( 1-2 hours)
After I pre-shampoo, I proceed with shampooing.
After a workout I co-wash (washing hair using conditioner) with my regular conditioner. Co- washing is great because It gently cleanses the scalp and hair without stripping it of its natural oils like shampoo does.
I clarify (removing product buildup from hair) Using castille soap, African black soap, Eluscence clarifying shampoo or I do an acid vinegar rinse...depending on what's at hand.
I deep condition once weekly for 45 mins to an hour and I do a protein deep treatments every 4 to six weeks using henna or Ion's super strength treatment pack. Protein re-strengthens your hair. ALways follow a protein treatment with a moisturizing deep conditioner because it leaves the hair dry.
Styling...I mostly wear braid outs and twist outs, funky afros or a picked out 70's style afro. When My hair grows longer, I will have more styilng options.
I moisturize daily with my water + aloe vera gel mixture and I seal the moisture with coconut and castor oil or shea butter.

And, there you have it!!! Thanks for all the compliments you give me about my hair and if you have any more questions please feel free to contact me.
If there's anyone out there who is thinking of going natural...DO IT! you will not regret it! It takes a lot of courage though! its a journey! but at the end of the day you will love how healthy your hair be.

P.S : I am not a hair nazi...so if you are love perming your hair..go for it! whatever works for you just rock it! Perms worked great for me for the last 12 years but it reached a point where I think my hair was over processed wioth chemicals to a point it became dull and fragile and just fell of! What works for me, won't work for you so JUST DO YOU!
Always remember: You are not your hair! and beauty is more than just long, silky flowing hair!

#Now playing letting go (dutty love) -sean kingston ft Nicki Minaj.....I can dance to this song ALL DAY!

NB: music is my life!...just saying

Have a blessed week everyone!

NAMASTE!

No comments:

Post a Comment