Jun 7, 2012



 CREATE, DON'T HATE.

 I am back! I know it's been a while since I did my last blog post. I took a brief blogging sabbatical because I really had nothing substantial to say. Nothing worse than polluting the internet with inconsequential statements. Enough people are already doing that. Above all, I needed a hiatus  so I could take the time to put everything into perspective and reflect on my life.  Did you miss me? yes? no? Cool.

Basically a friend and I were having a discussion two days ago about social media and I was telling her about the trends I see online. First, I see a lot of great things. I see people creating good work, engaging with each other, actually having mutually beneficial interactions; building relationships. I have actually made friends through social media (especially twitter) as odd as that sounds. At the same time, I see things that worry me. I think there is an entire e-culture of critics. Every single tweet or Facebook status update is about them knocking someone down . Whether it's someone they know in a subliminal, whether it's a celebrity they have never met; That's all they do. It's this culture of criticism. Now the thing is, I can't even disaggregate myself from it because I understand. Let's say you're watching a T.v show, you see something you don't like, you say it's a hot mess. I get it. I totally get it. The problem with most of the criticism I see is not even intellectual; These people aren't questioning systems rationally and actually attacking the system, They are attacking people. It's extremely venomous to sit down, behind a computer screen typing vile statements ALL THE TIME. Constantly spewing negativity. This is more than problematic. If anything, such a practice speaks volumes about your character more than the people you are critiquing.

A few months ago I had to sit down and look at how I'm spending my time. 2012 is quite an important year for me, well, every year is but I know where I want to be 5, 10 and 15 years from now. Where I will be in 5 years is very much determined by what I do now. My future hinges on what I do every single day, every single hour, every single minute.  Every day I have a brand new opportunity to use it creatively. It's akin to laying bricks, and it's these same bricks that build my future.  At the end of the week I reflect and ask myself "OK Linda, what kind of bricks have you laid this week?". I sat back and realized the way I was laying my bricks, and the type of bricks I was laying were troublesome. I did not like what I saw. That was because I was busy critiquing more than I was creating. And  it's quite funny because a few months back My cousin  and I had talked about "the hater myth" and how most people cry how they have haters when in reality most people's haters are simply illusions and the real enemy is within. But the fact is, haters actually do exist. You can find yourself slipping slowly into hater mode because you are in this bubble where everyone is busy hating on another person.

Here is the deal: you need to create more than you hate. we are all creative. We are humans, we were placed on earth to create and fulfill our purposes. Do what YOU can with the talents that you have. If you are busy being consumed by other people's talents, speaking negatively into their lives then you have a major problem.  seek therapy if you have to. The bottom line is, 10 years from now, you never want to look back and realize you squandered all your time because you were siting down on twitter,  Facebook, e.t. c  negatively critiquing people, when your oyster card was in the minus. You weren't even trying to do anything beneficial for yourself, all you were doing was hating, hating and more hating on others.  We are each so unique and have unique purposes and goals. Learn to appreciate every person's journey even when it doesn't resonate well with you. This crab-in-a-barrel mentality ought to stop. It's tiring and quite corrosive. Stop it.  Please, and Thank you.

My sincerest apologies for any grammatical errors , lack of subject-verb agreements, and poor punctuation present in this blog post (If any). I admit, I wrote while exhausted and just didn't have the patience to edit it. I would blame it on menstruation but that would be a bloody lie. Pun fully intended.  Happy Thursday earthlings. Don't forget to enjoy life, eat cake and wax. Peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment