Sep 23, 2011

Untitled

This will be one of those blog posts that will be all over the place.No specific topic, just me going on a rant. No use of "fancy" or "big words". I'm going to let my thoughts flow.

Troy Davis' execution really evoked something in me that words can't suffice. What really irked me the most was the bashing and demonization I received on facebook right after I updated my status. Instead of leaving these vile comments on my status update, these people spread themselves in my inbox.
First of all, you may have seen me on twitter and facebook but believe me when I say you really don't know me as you think you do. Unless you know me personally, Outside of the social networking setting, then you really have no business drawing conclusions about me.
Here is the irony of this situation: These people had no clue about who Troy Davis was. They saw my status updates and asked who he was. I informed them, then they turned around and bashed me saying where was I 20 years ago when he first got convicted. What type of batshit is that? It is really idiotic to ASSume that  I just talk and  I'm not actually involved in my community, or just because I'm now spreading awareness about an issue, I'm a bandwagoner. Miss me with that.

Listen, in society, you're either part of the problem or part of the solution. What is your purpose in life? Are you living or existing? Are you part of the status quo or are you anti-status quo? What causes do you fight for? what are you passionate about? I've noticed that the people who like maintaining status quo, love barking and biting at those who are seeking to create new realities and a better world for all. They critique the most, yet do the least. People have refused to turn off BET, and try to educate themselves on issues that matter. How long, will we  continue to bask in mediocrity? What has corroded your thinking? How many of you are willing to sacrifice your comfort for freedom?  Are you going to join the movement or are you just going to sit, calling people "crazy" yet waiting for them to pave the way for you? The sad part is many people don't even know we are living in a repressive society and we are broken, wounded beings. So how can they even seek to change things when they don't even know change is needed?

 I could Talk till the cows come home but I'll redirect my energy into something else . This is all I have to say: We are born in a world of sink or swim and some people decided to surf. Do not demonize the surfers. You can either join them or continue to sink or swim. You can either conform or transform. The choice is yours. But just remember, If you can't take a stance on anything, you are part of the problem.

1 comment:

  1. I follow you on Twitter, but I never knew we had Troy Davis in common. I was a friend of his sister Martina, who I first met in 2004. At that time Troy had no web site so I put one up and maintain it until this day. The State of Georgia didn't only kill Troy they killed his mother Virginia and his sister Martina. I knew and loved them all and can't believe the injustice.

    ReplyDelete